Friday 19 November 2010

Grilling/Broiling V Frying


Not all of my blog posts will be recording my attempts at cooking, some will be my thoughts on the differences between America and England ("Separated by a common language" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it!).

Now, in the UK our ovens typically consist of -

The GRILL : Referred to in the USA as a "broiler"; the thing that heats food from ABOVE. I am NOT referring to the barbeque or a Foreman Grill or whatever you all think I mean!

The HOB : Known here as the "stove"; the thing you put pans on to cook food in

The OVEN : This one at least stays the same!

So if we were cooking chicken breast, roast potatoes and carrots, we would have the chicken under the grill, the carrots on the hob, and the roast potatoes in the oven. Simple.

Here in the USA it's not so common to have a separate grill/broiler. This has reaaally confused me. I like to grill my food, it's healthier, it's not sat in it's own fat as it cooks. I admit that frying the food stops it from drying out and makes it much more tender, but it's just so unhealthy!!

Buuut I have been frying the meat fairly frequently, I can't help it, it makes it tastier and I'm puzzled by the "broiler", so I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. Besides, frying is just that bit more "normal" over here, I don't like to rock the boat :P
My Boyfriend has started complaining that he's getting fat (he's not), so I've been trying to think of ways to cook healthier.

Obvious solution : Stop frying meat!

Sounds really simple, right? But then I got confused...If the oven and the "broiler" are the same thing (you hit "bake" it cooks from below, you hit "broil" it cooks from above)...how are you supposed to grill your chicken AND bake your roast potatoes?! They're in the same compartment! Sooo this left me totally bemused and back to frying meat.

SO if any of you dear American readers can solve this little puzzle for me, as we typically "bake" our potato-based side dish ("fries" or wedges or roast potatoes)...how am I supposed to also use the "broiler"?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Charli,

    I'm not sure, but I think broiling typically takes a much shorter amount of time to accomplish than baking. It might be possible, if that's the case, to do the baking first, and then the broiling, and just keep the baked items covered to hold their warmth. In the case of baked potatoes, for example, I've seen my mom keep them wrapped in foil.

    If, however, that's not an option, you might consider investing in something like one of those George Foreman grills you mentioned. They have a slight tilt to them, so the fatty stuff will drip away - and they come with a little tray of sorts to catch all that. I have one, and it's been one of my happier novice purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks EE :) I highly doubt I can convince him to buy me a Foreman grill, especially when I'll be back in the UK in a few months!! I'll have to give it a go keeping the baked items covered, I could always cook them til they're mostly done and them assume that the heat from the broiler will finish them off..? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete