Saturday 20 November 2010

Chicken Salad


I'm not a salad person, I kind of hold the view that salad is "rabbit food"!! My Boyfriend quite likes salad though, especially when he's having one of his "I'm getting fat" phases. He thinks he's getting fat...not me!

So yesterday he requested chicken salad for dinner. I'm still recovering from a stomach bug so I didn't mind making him something that I wouldn't eat. He carefully explained what it was he wanted from it and it all seemed simple enough. I chopped up the chicken into chunks, put them in a frying pan and drizzled some A1 Cajun Marinade sauce over them and covered it with a lid. I tend to try and "dry fry" the food, it makes it that tiny bit healthier, but I've discovered that doesn't really work with chicken so I had to put a little oil in the pan...or maybe I didn't since I also put sauce in there? I don't know.

Anyway! Then I made the salad, lettuce (3 different kinds I believe??), cucumber ("English" cucumber apparently!) and croutons. I didn't put any green onions on there since apparently he doesn't like green onions or green peppers, need to try and remember that! I just this morning remembered he said he'd like cheese too...woops! Oh well, he didn't complain!!

The chicken cooked surprisingly quickly, but I made sure to cut a couple of the bigger chunks in half and they were cooked through. He then showed me that I should take the lid OFF, turn the hob ("stove") down the "simmer" and leave it a couple of minutes. That made the water evaporate and made the sauce thicker, his explanation left a little to be desired though! "Then it makes it so you can drizzle it on the chicken and it's all mmmm" Thanks for that hon :P Either way, I vaguely followed what he wanted.

I managed to get it all cooked and looking good, but SOMEONE was playing Call of Duty online and said it would be his "last match" so I left the chicken in the pan to keep it warm. Of course by the time he finished the sauce was almost ENTIRELY evaporated, so there was no drizzling of it! But I could see it should have worked :P Once again, it's not a photo of the actual dish I made, but in this case it did turn out looking good so it's not like I'm hiding it in shame LOL

Either way, he absolutely cleaned his plate so I think I did good! Hard not to I suppose, it was a pretty simple dish! But still, we'll call it a - SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment