Thursday 18 November 2010

Cookies


The other day my Boyfriend was complaining that none of the people he went to work for would offer him cookies or coffee. This got me to thinking...could *I* make him some cookies to surprise him with when he got home? I googled a recipe and it looked really pretty simple and I was fairly sure we had most of those ingredients. After raiding the cupboards I found we had all but the brown sugar and, most important ingredient of all, the chocolate chips. Ah. That won't do!

I immediately got onto Facebook to his Mom to ask did SHE have any brown sugar or chocolate chips? Yes, she had brown sugar, but no chocolate chips. However she was going to the store soon and could bring me some. Great! Well she didn't get back until after Boyfriend was home and I really wanted to make it a surprise, so the project had to wait a couple of days. It should have only waited the one day but I kept forgetting to get the supplies out of the back of his car...woops!

I finally had possession of all of the ingredients and a house to myself, time to start baking! I carefully wrote out all the the instructions so I wouldn't get my computer messy and started measuring out the ingredients. This was all fairly simple, it was all in "Cups" which I have to admit, are a really simple way to measure them! I was a little impatient and didn't let my butter soften enough but I wasn't daft enough to attempt to microwave it (recipe for disaster right there!) so it just made my life a little more difficult than it had to be!

I did have to pause to google how to "cream" butter and sugars, then raided the whole house to find the sieve. This almost put the whole thing to a standstill until I remembered that his Sister usually used the pastry cutter to mix the ingredients together and that seemed to get all of the lumps out too. This frustrated me as it wasn't what my instructions SAID, but it was the best I had.

I finished mixing up all my ingredients and blobbed them onto a sheet of baking parchment over a baking tin. Unfortunately I've never made cookies before, or ever seen them be made. So I didn't REALISE that they "grew" in the oven...so I blobbed them onto the sheet in cookie sized pieces...

They took twice as long as my instructions said they would take which worried me as well, but I took them out when they were golden brown and kind of hard, I figured they were done by that point?

Overall they turned out really quite nice, HUGE, but nice :) I was pleased with myself, I made 5 and they were all gone by the next day! I did manage to surprise my Boyfriend, he seemed genuinely pleased that I'd gone to that effort for him, and he was very complimentary about them. I think I got to eat 2, he at the other 3!!

So this one I pronounce to be a - SUCCESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment