Tuesday 14 December 2010

Tinsel and Baubles VS Garlands and Balls

Woops I've really fallen behind! First I was sick, then my Boyfriend was sick, so I haven't really been doing much cooking or baking, we've mostly been living off soup or cereal and things!!

So we've been doing our Christmas decorating over here, and it's made me realise more differences in our languages. For example, what I refer to as Tinsel, they refer to as Garlands, and what they call Tinsel...I've never seen in my life :P

"GARLAND"


"TINSEL"


The other one that has reaaally tickled me, is the whole "Christmas Balls" thing. I'm immature, I know that, I accept that, but I just can't help it :P We call them "Baubles", so this is the first time I've ever heard them be called "Christmas Balls" or just "Balls", so...well I'm sure you understand! It didn't help when my Boyfriend's Sister dropped one...that one had me giggling for ages! I'll grow up one day, honest!


I haven't really noticed any other differences in Christmas decorations so far. Obviously people's outdoor lights are more common and more elaborate, I wouldn't expect anything else in America. I've found that typically Americans do all holidays more elaborately than we do! I love to see all the Christmas lights, but I'm very specific on what lights I'd have in/on my own house. Luckily my Boyfriend almost entirely agrees with what I like :)

There was one thing that I thought was really cool though. My Boyfriend lives near the sea, and the next town over is a port town. A load of the boats were actually decorated! Like people do to their houses! I've never seen anything like it, I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I really hope to go back and take some better photos, but what with all the rain and with us both being sick, that hasn't happened yet. Plus I keep forgetting :P

I'm sure there was something else I wanted to write about but I can't think what it was, so that will have to do for now. My Grandma has kindly sent me some recipes for me to try out, so I may give that a go sometime soon, I'll make sure to blog when I do :)

2 comments:

  1. The top one is definitely tinsel lol.
    The next one is lametta - we never used it as I thought kids or cats would just drag it off and all over the floor lol.
    And I'd giggle at Christmas balls too!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lametta...that's a cool word! It seems to only really work with real trees, as when you get rid of the tree, you get rid of the foofy stuff, it's not really do-able to remove all of it. I'm glad it's not just me who giggles over Christmas Balls :P xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete