Monday 20 December 2010

Quilts/Duvets/Blankets/Covers

Ok I've heard them be called a million different things, so I'm on about that big thick cover you have on your bed, possibly two when it's cold. Not the thin little sheet, not a blanket like you'd have in the living room, the big THICK one (which I'm going to refer to as DUVET from now on)


The difference here reaaally puzzled me and my boyfriend. He came to the UK first so he got confused first! I asked him to go and get the "Duvet cover" so I could wash it. He dutifully went upstairs and took it into the utility room where the washing machine was, then came to find me looking all confused. "It won't fit". Huh? So I went to see what he was on about. Turns out he brought the whole thing downstairs, and it really wouldn't fit.


In America they have multiple DUVETS. For example my boyfriend has one that is blue with Chinese characters on, one that is blue and green and red, and one that is just a denim blue. When you want to wash them, you put the WHOOOOLE thing in the washing machine. In the UK we have multiple duvet COVERS, that you put on and take off the big thick thing itself. So I have ONE duvet, and several covers. I'm struggling to explain it to be honest, so I just hope you all know what I mean! In the UK the colourful part (with the patterns that match your bedroom) is removable and THAT is what you wash, the inside that is the duvet which is like a material shell filled with fibres (originally feathers). In the USA the colourful cover is NOT removable and you wash the ENTIRE thing, so you can typically fit ONLY that in the washing machine.
Duvet - UK


We both think that our way is the better way of course! He thinks that it's a pain to strip the duvet cover and put another one on. Especially while watching me do it! I'm smaller than average, and have a double bed, which means my duvet is quite large. It usually involves me standing on a bed and shaking the duvet a lot to get it to the bottom of the cover!! I really don't make it look easy! I think it's a pain to stuff the entire duvet into a washing machine, especially when I listen to the poor machine labouring away trying to spin, and when I have to run the tumble dryer THREE TIMES just to get it dry.


But each of our appliances is set up to work for what we consider normal. Our washing machine drums won't really fit the duvet in, because we rarely need to wash the whole thing, their washing machine drums are much larger because they do do it that way. I'm not saying either is right or wrong, just that my way is better ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment