Thursday 2 December 2010

Guess Who's Sick again..!

Before I start in on this post, I would like to say a HUGE


to two of my Aunties, who both recently had BEAUTIFUL baby girls :) I don't know if either of you read my blog, but I'm sooo pleased for both of you and I can't wait to meet my two new cousins!

Anyway, let the whinging commence :P

This time my boyfriend's sister has also got a stomach bug, which kind of makes me feel a little better! I'm sure that makes me a horrible person, but I hate that it's always me getting sick, I feel like some sickly little thing, or a total hypochondriac! So I think I feel justified, like it's not just my imagination! Obviously I'm very sorry that she's been ill also, it sucks to feel unwell, especially as she still has to work.

This post isn't so much about me feeling sorry myself, it's actually more about how totally amazing french baguettes are! I buy bread from the supermarket's bakery, as I don't like the normal bread. In the UK our bread only lasts a week at the most, whereas here in the USA it seems to last at least a month, because of all the preservatives in it. Now if you're used to that, then it's fine, but I'm not and so I can actually TASTE the additives, and it doesn't taste too good!! My sister said the same thing, so it's not just me :P I've been trying different breads from the various supermarkets we go to, Italian Bread or Country Farmhouse, I even had a presliced bread last time which was nice, so much less effort! All very tasty, makes good toast, I have no complaints. Now yesterday I came across a rack full of French Baguettes ("French Bread" I think it was called, over here it's more common to find random Spanish words than French ones), they were all actually still warm. OMG. Amazing! So pleased! I wasn't entirely lucid while shopping yesterday, which I'm using as my excuse for why I found BREAD to be so exciting :P


Baguettes are my absolute utmost FAVOURITE type of bread. I'll eat it with nothing on at all, I'll eat it with just margerine/butter, it makes delicious cheese sandwiches, and it's amazing with soup. Sadly this baguette wasn't very...round? It was the "proper" length, but it was weirdly thin! This means that I'm almost entirely out already and this makes me sad :( I have to have several slices just to eat a decent amount!! I think when I had a small bowl of soup last night (I was feeling better) I had about 5 or 6 "rounds"!! Because I'm sick I can't really eat much, so bread is about the only thing I can keep down which doesn't help me try and make it last!!

I was very naughty just now, because I'm rapidly running out, and the best thing about baguettes is the wonderfully tasty cheese sandwiches you get, I did make myself a small cheese sandwich. I just didn't want to miss out LOL I'm already feeling the consequences (see my post from last time I was sick about dairy products!) but it was so nice, I don't really regret it :P I'll probably end up having veg soup again for dinner tonight, I kept that down alright, and it'll be more filling than just the bread.

I know this is such a random post, about bread of all things! But this is the first time I've actually even SEEN it, and it tasted so nice - just like at home! I'll definitely be looking out for some more next time. Might have to get a different loaf of bread for when I finish it all up :P I didn't realise I'd eat it so quickly, so I didn't think to buy more than just that. Will have to ask my boyfriend to pick me up a loaf from the nearby shop so I can still eat if I'm still sick tomorrow!

(Ooh, in searching for a photo I've come across a recipe to make it myself, hopefully it won't be too complicated and then this post will make some semblance of sense in the long run...me leading up to trying it myself LOL...aaaand after reading it, it sounds pretty difficult, I think I'll start with ordinary bread and work up from there..eventually!)

3 comments:

  1. Learn to make your own bread. You will fail at first (how many inedible loaves have made!) But you will get there in the end. And it will be fantastic and much tastier when it all comes together.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you all feel better soon
    Hugs (((((((((())))))))))
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep meaning to give it a go, I remember making bread with Dad when I was little, but it's been a LOOONG time! I ended up with LOTS of bread in the end, I mentioned to my boyfriend that I would appreciate him getting me some while he was out, in the hearing of his sister, so they both came back (seperately) with a loaf for me, and he also brought me 2 garlic bread loaves :) They're too good to me! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete